Twitter can be a really cool place to launch a contest. Contests can be a great way to add some fun to a fan page for a business that is too large to do large scale product give-aways, but can instead create a buzz with cleverly crafted contests instead.
Using Contests To Increase Your Twitter Followers
Contests can be a great way to boost your Twitter follower numbers. Many people love a good contest and want to try their luck to see if they can win even if the odds are stacked way against them (think: Lotto!).
Promote a new contest through all the available free channels such as the official web site, Facebook page, Twitter account and mailing list.
Sending Out The Contest (Party) Invites
In order to get people successfully invited to your little contest, they first need to be Twitter followers of your account. Pull as many people in as you can through your promotional channels, funnel them into your Twitter page and get them signing up as a follower. Or you can learn how to get more Twitter followers as well.
You can then send a single Tweet to invite a group of people to your contest.
How To Run The Contest
There are a few steps to follow to conduct a proper contest on Twitter.
- Set the ground rules. Each contest needs to have a clear set of rules so that the prizes are known and it is clear what it takes to win each prize. There are people out there who specialize in looking for contest loopholes in order to extract the largest (unintentional) gain from a contest. Setting up the prizes, contest structure, how each contestant may qualify (age, sex, etc.) and how people participate, are the most common rules to set.
- Attend to the Details. The rules must have a start and end date for the contest, the prizes must be ready in advance and if prizes are coming from sponsors, then these need to be named & publicized.
- Set up a hashtag for the contest. This way there is a single location where people can place contest entries and the contest progress can be actively monitored.
- Promote the contest through a wide campaign on all social media accounts owned, web sites, mailing lists, etc.
- Launch the contest and monitor closely for any unexpected issues.
- Select a winner or winners. Follow your own rules and be fair in making the winning selection(s).
- Announce who the winner or winners are and give out the prize(s). If it is necessary to nominate an impartial outside party to adjudicate and award prizes, then do so.
Above all, make contests fun and easy to follow along. It can bring much needed publicity and excitement to your brand for a small outlay.